Saturday, October 5, 2013

#NCSLMA13 & More...


This weekend, I had the pleasure of participating in the North Carolina School Library Media Association (NCSLMA)'s annual conference. Even though I was only there for a short time, I was able to have great conversations with dedicated professionals who recognize the brilliant instructional opportunities the new millennium brings to librarians. I want to give a special shout-out to opening keynote speaker David Lankes, whose August 2012 post - It's Time To Stop Trying to Save Libraries! inspired me to "run on my record". To some extent this has quieted my social media activity. Last week, my own daughter pointed out that I hadn't posted to Bibliotech.me since June. Then she added that I'd been pushed way down in Google search results because of Bibliotech - the new all-digital library in Texas (I'd link to it, but searching for it would only push me farther down!) Uhhh... thanks, Em! :-(.  So back to NCSLMA... I so was gratified to read through the audience takeaways (#ncslma13 on Twitter) that I compiled a word cloud of salient keywords. A special thanks to @actinginthelib, @madamewells, @CCNTH, @candidlibrarian, @deannaharris, @SiggaMitchell, @rdpalgi, @NClibrariandiva, @TheSlamGuy, @jlynch482 (Please forgive me if I missed anyone!) for sharing their learning!



There was a bullet list I left out A) because of time, and B) because I couldn't figure out how to depict it visually, and I didn't want another bullet list (always trying to keep those to a minimum). It follows:
  • Cultivate imagination
  • Rethink workflow
  • Question assumptions
  • Measure impact
  • Apply reflection
Humm... Q-MARC? It is safe to assume that I will include it with a 60 mile-per-hour explanation of each point in an upcoming edWeb.net Emerging tech webinar, but I don't yet know which one. I have to think about that.

On a related note, I received an email from my friend (and New Canaan High School class of 2003 alum) Matt D. this morning noting that he'd read an article about my last edWeb.net webinar in a popular education blog out of San Francisco, Mind/Shift.org. I have to say that Katrina Schwartz nailed it. It encapsulates not only the main ideas from my blog, but also my mini-rant from my NCSLMA breakout session where I said, "What they are telling you about CIPA as an excuse to enforce absurd filtering practices is a lie!" I referenced another Mind/Shift post in the session from a few years back where then United States Department of Education Director of Education Technology Karen Cator dispelled the myths about CIPA. I still love that one, and when I asked her a year ago to update it, she politely declined saying, "Nothing's changed. There is nothing to update." Touché. Interesting work is being done about the educational impact of CIPA right now, and I look forward to learning more. In the meantime, I finally saw the impact of the new COPPA legislation that went into effect on July 1st.
  



I am still convinced that this will impact the use of mobile technology - or at least policies around the use of mobile technology for K-12 schools. This was addressed by Library Journal/School Library Journal's online publication, The Digital Shift last summer. All you 1:1 schools with IOS devices, this is legislation that merits attention!

One final note before I wrap up my thoughts for the weekend: Brenda Boyer, Gwyneth Jones, Shannon Miller, Tiffany Whitehead, and I are meeting to discuss our upcoming AASL pre-conference session (Nov. 14th, 8:30AM) called A Library in Every Pocket tonight. What new learning do participants want out of this session? We have ideas, but we'd love to hear from registered folks. 

My slides from NCSLMA follow:


Here is my closing keynote presentation. The link is http://bit.ly/ncslma13
 


and for my breakout session - http://bit.ly/ncslma13A

No comments:

Post a Comment